If you have a sports-related injury, or if you are just looking to improve your overall performance and fitness level in a safe way, then it may be time to seek the expertise of a sports medicine physician.
Sports medicine is a specialty area within orthopedic medicine, which focuses on the musculoskeletal system (bones, muscles, and joints). Sports medicine physicians were originally charged with providing high-quality, specialty medical care for professional and collegiate athletes, but nowadays it goes beyond that – and is devoted to working with individuals of any kind who:
- Have a sports- or exercise-related injury
- Are looking to improve their overall fitness levels
- Want to enhance their performance in their sport or activity of choice
- Want to prevent sports-related injuries
- Are looking to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle
Role of a Sports Medicine Physician
Sports medicine doctors are specially skilled and fully equipped to diagnose and treat a range of different sports injuries and conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. They are also well-versed in diagnosing and treating concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
The doctor will assess your level of pain, range of motion, and function, and may order diagnostic tests such as an X-ray or MRI to accurately diagnose your injury. A sports medicine physician’s expertise generally lies in nonsurgical treatment methods and preventive care to help individuals return to their original health and continue playing their sport.
They have a number of responsibilities, which can include:
- Diagnosing and treating sports-related injuries
- Treating musculoskeletal pain
- Creating a personalized treatment and rehabilitation plan
- Regularly evaluating and reviewing a patient’s condition or injury
- Providing or recommending therapeutic modalities
- Patient education
- Preventive care (to reduce the chance of injury)
- Coordinating additional support when required (such as nutritionists, physical therapists, hand therapists, etc.)
Treating Sports-Related Injuries
Regardless of the patient’s fitness level, sports injuries are commonplace among athletes – and certain areas of the body can be particularly vulnerable during physical exercise. Sports medicine physicians evaluate and treat injuries and conditions that can be due to injury on the field, overtraining, or repetitive or overuse injuries.
Common injuries seen by a sports medicine physician include:
- Shoulder injuries (such as a torn rotator cuff)
- Elbow injuries (such as golfer’s elbow, pitcher’s elbow, and tennis elbow)
- Knee injuries (such as torn ACL, PCL, or meniscus)
- Ankle injuries (sprains, strains, or instability)
- Dislocated joints
Specific Tips on Injury Prevention and Training
Sportsmetrics™ is a scientifically proven injury-prevention and performance training program designed for individuals over the age of 12. The training aims to reduce your risk of injury and to give your athletic performance a boost, with neuromuscular retraining exercises that are focused on strengthening and conditioning the body.
Sportsmetrics has been shown to offer many benefits to athletes of all skill levels along with reducing sports-related injuries, such as ACL tears. It can help improve the athlete’s:
- Vertical jump height
- Lower extremity strength, power, and balance
- Jumping and landing method
- Overall sports performance
Sports Medicine Doctors in North Dakota
If you have a sports-related injury or are looking to improve your performance and prevent injury, schedule a consultation with one of our experienced orthopedists at The Bone & Joint Center. Our board-certified and fellowship-trained physicians are skilled in diagnosing and treating many different orthopedic conditions, from sports injuries to arthritis pain.
To learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment, call us today at (800) 424-2663. You can also fill out our appointment request form online now. We have a number of convenient locations across North Dakota, and we look forward to serving you at our clinic near you.