Your hands and wrist have vital importance in various tasks you usually perform daily, such as cooking a meal, typing on the keyboard, gripping a steering wheel, etc. Some of these repetitive motions can lead to the inflammation of tissues around the wrist joint, leading to pain in your wrist. Arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome may also cause wrist pain.
Pain in your wrist can be very annoying and may limit your daily tasks.Thankfully, wrist pain can be managed and controlled by practicing some exercise that provides strength and mobility to the wrist and hand and helps lower the risk of injury.
Let’s talk about some exercises you can perform to relieve your wrist pain and where you can go for effective wrist pain management in Bismarck, ND.
#1 Warm-Up stretches
- Place your hands in front of you, making fists
- Rotate your wrists in a circular motion in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions, respectively. Repeat this exercise 2-3 times
#2 Prayer Stretch
- While sitting or standing, place your palms together to make a prayer position. Also, position your elbow so that they touch each other
- Keep your hands slightly lower than your chin
- Keeping both arms together, spread your elbows apart and slowly lower your hands towards your belly button
- Hold for 10-30 seconds and repeat this 3-4 times
#3 Wrist Rotation
- Extend your arm while your palm must be facing upwards
- With the other hand, gently press your fingers downwards towards the floor like you are making an upside-down high-five
- Softly pull your fingers back towards your body and hold for 10-30 seconds
Repeat the exercises with both arms for 2-3 exercises for each arm.
#4 Clenched Fists
- Be seated, place your hands on your thighs, keeping your palms open and facing upwards
- Slowly close your hands to form a fist
- Bend your wrist towards your face while keeping your forearms on your thighs
- Hold for 10 seconds and then lower your fist and open your fingers
- Repeat 5-10 times
#5 Wrist Extensor Stretch
- Extend your arms in front of you with your palm facing downwards.
- Bend your hands to make fists
- Move your fists downwards by keeping your arms straight
- Hold your fists for 10 seconds
- Repeat 1-2 times
#6 Wrist circles
- Lay your hands on the table with your wrists hanging off the edge.
- Move your wrists clockwise by making a circle.
- Then move counterclockwise to make a circle.
- Repeat this 10 times.
#7 Hooked Stretch
- Place one elbow under the other and pull both your arms towards the center of your body
- Wrap your one arm around the other in such a way that your palms touch each other
- Proceed with this stretch for 30 seconds
- Repeat this, if needed
#8 Tennis Ball Squeeze
- Squeeze a tennis ball or a stress ball while making a fist
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds and relax
- Repeat the exercise multiple times or as needed
#9 Fist Opener
- Make a fist of your hand and hold it in front of you
- Keeping your fingers together, stretch your fingers until your fist is open
- Repeat at least 10 times or as needed
#10 Figure Eight
- Interlock your hands with our elbows at your side
- With your hands, make figure eight
- Repeat 2 to 3 times or as needed
Wrist Pain Treatment in Bismarck, ND
If you are experiencing wrist pain or any kind of wrist problem that is limiting your daily routine activities, visit us at The Bone & Joint Center for timely diagnosis and treatment of your problem to ease your life. Our board-certified orthopedic doctors are highly experienced and highly qualified in diagnosing and treating wrist pain and all other hand and wrist-related problems.